Wednesday 24 April 2019

Favourite Music - Dame Janet Baker




I have listened to this BBC programme about Dame Janet Baker with enormous pleasure and interest.
She was the natural heir to the great Kathleen Ferrier, my parents' favourite singer, and retired from opera when she was only 49, to the disappointment of all opera lovers.  

One of the most moving moments is when she, as the Angel, sings the final stanza of Elgar's 'Dream of Gerontius' (a Ferrier favourite as well) as a requiem for Sir John Barbirolli, She is barely able to finish the piece. Listen to this on the programme.   

SOFTLY and gently, dearly-ransomed soul, 
In my most loving arms I now enfold thee, 
And, o’er the penal waters, as they roll,
I poise thee, and I lower thee, and hold thee.

And carefully I dip thee in the lake,
And thou, without a sob or a resistance,
Dost through the flood thy rapid passage take, 
Sinking deep, deeper, into the dim distance.
Angels, to whom the willing task is given,
Shall tend, and nurse, and lull thee, as thou liest;
And Masses on the earth and prayers in heaven,
Shall aid thee at the Throne of the most Highest.

Farewell, but not forever! Brother dear,
Be brave and patient on thy bed of sorrow;
Swiftly shall pass thy night of trial here,
And I will come and wake thee on the morrow.


Interestingly, she says that when she comes back, she would love to sing Wagner.

See also Kathleen Ferrier 
See also 'The Dream of Gerontius'

No comments:

Post a Comment