Monday 19 May 2008

Chengdu and the Sichuan Earthquake


Visiting the Chinese Embassy in London to sign the book of condolence
The loss of life and and terrible suffering from the great earthquake in Sichuan is tragic, but the Chinese people are dealing with the disater with great efficiency.


I visited the area once several years ago and this photo is of a tea shop I went to in Chengdu with friends. Below is one of the great Leshan Buddha at the confluence of three rivers - the Min, Qingyi and Dadu Rivers - nearby. I do hope the earthquake has at least spared that. [Update - it did - see here]

Nevertheless, here is an article in the IHT on the destruction of many other temples and historic sites nearby

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate your kindness toward the plight of the Chinese people who suffered from the devastating earthquake. It warms my heart.

    Your photo of the tea shop at Chengdu evoked sweet memories of my trip to there when I was little.

    I really enjoyed wandering around in your corner. :-) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete